Several variables come into play to understand why and how stretch marks suddenly appear. It is therefore quite easy to get lost!
Here are 8 facts about stretch marks that we find interesting to share with you to help you find your way around:
1. Stretch marks are deep skin tears.
More specifically, it is a part of the dermis – the middle layer of the skin between the epidermis & hypodermis – that tears spontaneously due to the rupture of elastic & collagen fibers. The size of these tears is variable, ranging from about 0.2 to 1 cm in width and about 5 to 20 cm in length.
2. They can be of various colors: red, violet, brownish or white.
The more recent the stretch marks are, the more visible and darker they are, whether in shades of red or purple. It is generally at this stage that they make us panic. However, it is also at this stage of their evolution that it is easiest to treat them, because their healing process is not advanced. Once they have healed, stretch marks are rather white and less visible.
3. Stretch marks appear at various stages of life.
Puberty. Pregnancy. Menopause. Any time of abrupt weight gain. These periods often rhyme with hormonal & body changes. Alas!
4. They are generally found in various places on the body.
Unsurprisingly, the stomach, thighs, hips, breasts, arms & buttocks are all more susceptible to stretch marks. In fact, these areas are likely to gain or lose weight and therefore stretch the skin.
5. They are frequent.
You are not alone, so rest assured! According to an article published on the Passeport Santé* website:
- Nearly 80% of women have this type of small scars on certain areas of their body.
- During the first pregnancy, 50 to 70% of women notice the appearance of stretch marks, often at the end of the pregnancy.
- At the time of puberty, 25% of girls versus only 10% of boys observe the formation of stretch marks.
6. The skin’s elasticity influences the appearance or not of stretch marks.
Hormonal changes that occur at various stages of life can weaken the natural production of collagen & the flexibility of elastic fibers. These elements being responsible for the skin’s elasticity, the risks of stretch marks are therefore higher during these periods of ” significant changes “.
7. It is difficult, but possible, to prevent them.
The key when it comes to preventing stretch marks is to improve the skin’s elasticity. And if there’s one product we can recommend to help you do this, it’s O’terra nourishing silky butter. It’s particularly effective because it has been specifically designed to improve the skin’s elasticity. It penetrates slowly into the skin, which works for a long time and effectively. Moreover, its texture is simply a treat for our skin!
8. They can be reduced or even eliminated if they are treated in time.
Yes, you read that right. It is possible!
Several solutions – products, beauty tools & treatments – exist to reduce the appearance of stretch marks. Obviously, the earlier they are treated, that is, when they are still in an inflammatory stage, the more striking the results will be and the better the chances of making them disappear.
We hope that these few facts will help you find your way around, if only a little!
Clinique O’terra offers a wide range of natural products, beauty tools & body treatments to help you take care of yourself. Do not hesitate to visit our website www.cliniqueoterra.com or to contact us for more information.
Add a comment